Tuesday, August 09, 2005

THE DEATH OF A FRIEND


I never met Peter Jennings, though he came into my home at least one night a week. I call him a friend because as a news anchor, he was given the task of bringing the public the most personal information about our world every night. Jennings had the ability to carry on a conversation with you through your television. To talk to his audience as if you were the only one he was talking to.

I generally don't mourn the death of a celebrity, simply for the fact that I don't know them. I usually think that it's sad, and that the world of media has lost someone great, but the death of Peter Jennings has affected me differently.

I keep flashing back 4 years ago when we watched him become emotional on live tv reporting the attacks of 911. He was passionate and intense, but at the same time warm and caring.

Jennings was an amazing man who took a stand for what he thought was important. Education was always important to Peter Jennings, although he never received a degree from high school or college. Jennings loved children, especially his own, and often spoke directly to children on his show. He brought us stories that no one else would cover; stories that were less popular and passed on by other news stations...stories like elections in Pakistan and the abuse of women and children in the Middle East. International news was important to Peter and he felt the need to educate the world.

In the past year, news media has lost several good anchors with the retiring of Tom Brokaw and Dan Rather. Jennings had lost his competition with the retiring of these two veterans and was on his way up the ratings, until April, when he announced he had lung cancer. We never saw him on television again.

My salute to Peter Jennings might seem odd to some, afterall, I didn't know the man. But, there is something personal about the people who bring us the news. They're not acting, there is no costume, no character and very little make-up. So, if my salute to a great man seems odd or different, that's fine with me. But, tonight I will go home, turn on my tv, and will miss the man I had grown accustomed to seeing sitting across the news desk in his dark suit, smiling, and saying good night.

2 comments:

FeedingYourMind said...

Nope...not "odd" at all.

You don't have to know someone personally to respect them!

Jennifer said...

I know exactly what you mean. ABC has always been our family's news station, and I literally saw Peter Jennings almost every weekday of my life growing up. I never knew anything about his personal life until yesterday, but it seemed as though I knew him just the same. It's so strange to think that he'll never deliver the news to us again.