Friday, July 29, 2005

BAD NEWS AND CHOCOLATE

You know Hollywood is running out of ideas when they're re-making so many classics. My theory is, if you're going to re-do a movie, make sure it's better than the first one! I've seen two "re-made" movies this week. Wednesday night I saw Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and last night I saw Bad News Bears.

Now, I'm not a huge fan of the classic Bad News Bears, so I was optimistic about this one. I love Marcia Gay Harden and I'm a mediocre fan of Billy Bob, so I thought this could possibly be a good movie. Well, at 11:30 last night I walked out of the theatre unimpressed and a little disapointed. There were many times that I laughed at the movie...good humor between Billy Bob and the kids. But, the language was overwhelming. And, I guess the thing that I really had a problem with is that the language was mainly coming from the kids...11 and 12 year old kids cussing like sailors! It was just a little disturbing to me. Everyone is used to hearing Billy Bob cuss...but little boys? I wanted to reach through the screen and say "Watch your mouth, little man!" Bottom line...it was a funny movie, but I'd wait to see it on video if you already haven't paid $7.50 at the box office.

Wednesday we went to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Now, I went with an open mind, which I think is the key when going to see this movie. My brother had gone to see CCF, and didn't like it at all...and, very few of my friends wanted to see it, so I was a little hesitant about stepping into the almost empty theatre. However, from the moment the movie started, I was entranced. My first recommendation would be to not compare the new version to the old one until after the movie. You'll drive yourself nuts trying to compare Gene Wilder to Johnny Depp and picking out all of the differences. There were many similarities, but just as many alterations. I absolutely loved the movie. I especially loved Willy Wonka's view of children and his smart-alec comments. Johnny Depp did an amazing job taking on this character. Speaking of Johnny Depp...if you attend his movies because you think he is hot(I think he is gorgeous!), find another reason to go to this movie...he's not hot as Willy Wonka, but he is interesting. The scenery is amazing, the acting is pretty good, and the humor makes the movie!

3 comments:

FeedingYourMind said...

Can I just say I LOVED CCF too!! I saw it opening day and I thought it ROCKED! Amen to the humor making the movie! The rest of the night after the movie, me and kids were all cracking the jokes from the movie back and forth with one another! HA! Cannibalism, grapes...HA!

Yeah, Johnny doesn't look "hot" in this movie, however I thought he didn't look as bad as I thought he was going to look from the previews. HA!

As for Bad News Bears...I haven't had any interest in seeing that one.

I bet I know what you'll be doing this weekend though...you and your movies...there is NO way you won't be seeing Must Love Dogs this weekend...i just know it! ;)

Anonymous said...

Um, I wouldnt have an opinion on either one of these movies...seeing as how I havent seen either one. CCF only because I havent gotten together with friends lately to catch a movie. However, Bad News Bears....hmmm, I seem to remember a mentioning of getting together with a certain Jennifer Ellison to take a peep at this movie...guess not now.



hahahaaa j/k!!

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd let you know...it's official. Mark Best shut us down. I got the letter today. Thanks so much for your enthusiasm and support these last few years ;)