Monday, January 12, 2009

"That SOB Pistol Whipped Me!"

My friend Betsey sent me some pictures today that I hadn't seen in months. Actually, I completely forgot about them! Be advised...they're a little graphic!

Caddie and I volunteered with the Abilene Fire Department, Paramedics, Police Department, Texas State Troopers, Bomb Squad and ACU Police this past May in what they called "demonstrations." I actually can't remember the official name, but they basically set-up random scenarios with gunmen, hostages, police, etc. So, allow me to explain what Caddie and I were doing. Side bar: all of this was taking place in McDonald dorm on ACU's campus which was under construction.

Ok...So, I was on the 2nd floor with a gunman and two other hostages. I was supposed to have been shot in the arm while running down the hall. The other hostages weren't so lucky...they didn't get away. So, as the police came up the stairs, I was supposed to yell "help, help! He's down here! The shooter is down here! Help! I've been shot!" I was there to assist in the mass chaos and hysteria. The cops would run by me, pull me to safety, and confront the gunman. It was kind of intense. I had to wear special helmets so I wouldn't get shot in the head by a bullet...aka paint cartridge that hurt like a mother when you got shot!

Caddie was a another victim, but was on the first floor. She was in the group of people who were attacked when the shooter first came in. Their job was to scream at the cops and beg them for help...then run out of the building screaming...running for their lives! They were then rescued by firemen and paramedics and were treated for their injuries. There were several times when we all got a little to "into" our roles. We were wannabe actresses basically! At one point, one fireman whisked Caddie from the front of the building onto the front lawn and asked her what happened. She quickly remarked "That SOB pistol whipped me!" There was hardly a straight face in the crowd!

It was a great day. We felt totally good having done our volunteer civic duty! And also very safe seeing how all of the first responders handled the many scenarios thrown at them. Here's a shout out to our public safety personnel! And here are a few pictures for your enjoyment!








1 comment:

FeedingYourMind said...

I'm thinking Caddie got more into her roll than you. What's up with that!?!? Though you're arm DOES look pretty good! We should have used some of that makeup when we pranked...

Prank gone wrong!!!! ;)