Friday, September 15, 2006

Brief Insight

This entry is actually about several things, basically because I have a lot I'm thinking about today.

I received my GATA Homecoming Breakfast invitation in the mail yesterday. As I pulled it out of my mailbox, a smile immediately came across my face. I was instantly excited. I absolutely love Homecoming. It's the energy on campus, the closeness you feel to thousands of people, getting to see old friends, catching up on what's new, the parade, the football game, chapel and of course, Homecoming Breakfast. Those of you who know me well know that small things excite me. I've been told that I kind of slip back to childhood sometimes with my giddy laugh and innocent excitement. Well, I felt that excitement yesterday when I read my invitation. It's the same laughter and excitment I feel when I watch great fireworks or play Pit. It's the excitment of knowing that I'll be around my friends from club again and for a few hours, things will seem like they did three years ago.

Speaking of three years ago...it's pledging season on campus. Three years ago I was entering my last pledging term. We had given out around 30 bids to a great group of girls and were anticipating an excellent bid night and a wonderful pledge class. Pledging has officially started on campus. Bids went out last night, therefore the dreaded bid night is tonight. In my office I'm surrounded by people active in clubs...we currently have three sponsors, one officer, two members and one pledge. Out of that group, three clubs are represented - GATA, Delta Theta and Ko Jo Kai. It's been funny listening to the drama around pledging. Part of me thinks, "Seriously girls. In the grand scheme of things, pledging is so not that important." But, the other part of me remembers how important pledging and club really was and I actually miss the rush of bid night. The excitement of pledging activities. The closeness and drama of club.

I miss a lot of my friends. Today I stumbled across some pictures from a camping trip I went on almost a year ago and as I gazed at the pictures, I remembered the laughter, the cold night, the warm fire, the jokes, the rabid dog in the woods, the hike to the bathroom, pitching a tent in the dark...I'm feeling a little nostalgic today. I can't help it.

So, this past weekend ended the Centennial. It was an INSANE weekend, but completely worth it. My favorite part? Hands-down, the fireworks show. I wish everyone reading this could have seen the show. I've seen some great fireworks shows in my day(I LOVE fireworks), and I'm really not trying to brag here, but my show on Saturday, Sept. 9th was freakin' awesome. It rivaled the show at Ameriquest Field, Disney World, Celebrate Freedom. I mean, I was totally impressed. And, the best thing was, it was right in front of our faces. Literally the fireworks shot about 40 feet in front of us. Ok, I'm done talking about my fireworks...unless you ask me about them in person, cause I'd love to say more about them! I crack myself up!

Well, the Birthday Celebration meant the Centennial ended which means that on Sept. 29, I'll officially be unemployed. Or, I'm assuming I'll be unemployed unless I find a job between now and then. Which is what I'm doing. I'm currently wrapping up Centennial archives and looking for a job at the same time. What's the number one phrase I'm tired of hearing? "What are you going to do now?" Remember how tired you were of hearing that right before graduation? Yeah, it's still annoying. Bottom line, I'm currently looking for a job in the events industry and I'll go anywhere except New York. I'd rather not go to LA, but if it was the right job, I'd go.

Am I nervous about leaving? A little bit. I actually just dread the emotional part of it. I've been in Abilene now for seven years. I've invested a lot of myself in Abilene and it's difficult to imagine living somewhere else right now. Am I excited? Sure. However, I have no idea where I'm going or what I'm going to do, so forgive me if I'm a little hesitant when it comes to starting this new adventure. Will I miss Abilene? A little. What am I going to miss most? My brother and sister who just recently moved here and my friends. I have best friends who live here and it will be hard to leave them. Some I've known for five or six years...some I just met this summer. But, whatever the case, it won't be easy leaving them.

Ok, so...this entry has turned into a novel. I'll wrap it up by saying I'm completely looking forward to this weekend. I get to attend a Rangers game with some of my favorite people in the world and the best part...it's a fireworks night! The giddy little school girl laugh will come out during the fireworks, I guarantee it!

1 comment:

FeedingYourMind said...

You know, that whole "What are you going to do now..." business. I think you really need to come up with a GREAT reply to shoot back at those people IMMEDIATELY following their question. I mean before they even get to take a breath! Something good! Something BIG! And once you've come up with it, then you'll have to practice it. Practice it over and over...in front of a mirror. You've got to be able to rattle it off like you are reciting your name. The more casual and noncelant (sp?) you are able to reply with it, the more comfortable you'll feel about being set in your future, as well as convincing them to never ask you that question again. Try something good like...

..."I'm going to kill you." ;)

Okay...well that would be my version. Feel free to come up with something of your own! =P

Camping...now THAT is something I want to do again! We need to get everyone settled into their situations (meaning you into your future plans, me into having my big paper for this semester knocked out, others done having their first babies, and still others comfortable with their drilling professors, and THEN pick a weekend (and a NEW spot) and get after it! Bring on the wild dogs...I STILL aint seen them! ;)

And finally, those CERTIANLY no less important...Ellison's love for fireworks!

Can I just say watching fireworks with you is DEFINITELY some of my fondest moments! I can't remember the last time I heard that child-like giggle of excitement coming out of a 20-year-old's body! HA! ;)

DEFINITELY looking forward to tomorrow night!